Monday, May 30, 2016

DAY 13, November 4th

2:47 AM:  I can't sleep on this thing anymore...its somehow lumpy and saggy, thin and hard all at the same time.  I'm tired but going to hoof it back home and hopefully make it by sunrise. I'll take a nap in my own bed then. At least the night sky is clear...

4:24 AM: Made it home with no trouble by retracing my original path back, though I did stop to scout that building with the dish on it and saw a raider up there. Gave it a wide berth, don't need to piss off two gangs at once. Picked some more flowers and mutfruit on the way back for the larder as well. 

I did see that deer again, but I let it flee and called Codsworth back when he gave chase. To tired right now. As I passed by our little farm I saw the plants were ready to harvest again already!  I don't know if it's a result of the irradiated soil or the plants themselves, but stuff grows fast now!  Made it home just before dawn. 

7:26 AM: Slept for three hours in my own bed and I'm feeling rested now. Used that pillow I found in the junkyard after whacking the crap out of it. My beard does not itch so I guess it's clean enough. Set about organizing mine and Codsworth's inventory. It's funny how I look at objects now and see their potential components rather then their original function.

Speaking of which, my head needs a shave and I should trim up my beard.  Shouldn’t take took long with the sharp implements I have stashed around here...

8:12 AM: Feeling a little cleaned up I went over to the Rosa’s and ran into Jun and Sturgis as I was sorting through our junk at the workbench. Talked for a little bit, I filled them in on Tebines, then we all got back to work.

8:48 AM: While returning to my bedroom to stash some ammo Cottesworth had on him, I ran into Mama Murphy. She asked about that Jet and I went ahead and gave it to her. She breathed it in with the shutter as Codsworth made a "tut-tut" sound disapprovingly. As her eyes rolled back in her head she said to me that Diamond City had the answers, but it was locked up tight. She saw me asking them for answers but said their, "hearts were chained up with fear and suspicion". She went on to say I would find the answers I seek and something about being led to my boy.  "Follow the signs to bright heart." she told me, whatever that means. After that she said she needed to rest so I let her go. Such a strange woman. 

9:02 AM: Passed Preston and filled him in on Tenpines. Told me to take my time, plan, and be careful. Kinda wish he would come with me...

11:01 AM: Broke down the 10 mm pistol, glow sighted light pipe pistol, and one of the short double-barreled shotgun's then set about modifying my laser musket before realizing I needed one more screw to extend it stock to a full one. Was able to make a short scope out of the materials we have, should help with targeting and scouting, but I used one of my few remaining screws to do it. Need to find more. 

With nothing else I could do to my weapons, I turned it to the armor station and broke down a leather chest piece and the raider gear I had collected. Used some steel, cloth, and adhesive to temper my welded left leg. Should afford better physical and energy protection now. Also added a pocket for more storage.

As I stepped away from the armor workbench I looked up at the power armor station before me. Thing has been sitting empty in the Rosa's carport and it made me think about bringing the T-45 here instead. I'd feel safer with it behind our walls, so I decided to go and get it right then. Don’t want some passerby hijacking it. On my way out I filled up the empty rum bottle and the others I had collected with water before washing my face and drinking my fill. Told Codsworth to stay with the others while I went to retrieve my power armor.

11:36 AM: Back at the rocket, the place still feel safe to me. If things ever go sideways I can always hold up here but I'd rather not think like that. Hit the big red button to open the garage door and stepped into my suit. Fits like a glove. Along with Sturgis I should be able to modify it more to my personal needs. I think it definitely could use a paint job!  Took the opportunity to load up on some of the junk I had in the Rocket's workshop to take back home. 

Picked up a hotplate from the shelf in the station thinking it might have a salvageable screw in it. Also took the giddy up buttercup back leg which had been rusting there, might be useful. I went ahead and grabbed the mini gun to store back in Sanctuary as well as a handful of other weapons that I might be able to break down and reuse.

I need to find a way to freely transfer items between our settlements, maybe via runners? It's going to take quite a bit of persuasion on my part to get anybody to agree to that type of risky job.

Just as I left the rocket my armor's fusion core warning beeped loudly in my ears. The thing’s almost drained, hopefully I have enough juice to get back to the Rosa’s carport...

12:36 PM: Made it back home, barely. I'll definitely need to find more fusion cores if I want to use this thing again. Sturgis was pretty excited to see the armor back, and immediately offered any assistance he could to help me "trick it out". Nice to see everyone starting to find things to get excited about other than just surviving. Outside of the suit I was weighed down with all the junk I had taken from the rocket so I stored everything I could and broke down an additional pipe pistol and shotgun that I had brought with me.  As I was using the weapon station I stepped back to wipe my brow and looked down at the typewriter that had been sitting on a crate next to it all this time. That damn thing must have at least two or three useable screws!  Spent the next hour tearing it and other items apart. Now I have a new full stock on my on musket. Need to think of a name for it...

1:26 PM: Refurbished the shell of a burnt out steamer trunk with salvaged steel to hold the minigun in the carport. Damn thing is too heavy to lug around, and I would like it near the power armor if needed. I'm now realizing that I left the 5mm rounds for it back in the Rocket…I really do need a better way of transferring things between locations. Spent some time tinkering with the T-45. Don't have the materials needed but the possibilities are almost endless!  I could paint it at least, but Vault Boy blue is my only option right now and it’s not appealing to...

3:00 PM: Scrapped the old door to our carport and replaced it with a wooden one. It's the only exit out of our walls except the main gate and I feel more secure with it closed and locked now. Also found our toaster on the ground outside, it's screws will come in handy. Ate a gourd and mellon chunks for lunch by the well. Still have some more work I'd like to get done today. 

3:52 PM: While wondering the neighborhood salvaging more supplies I happened across Mamma Murphy between Jahani's and the Frank's homes. She asked for a chair, something comfortable for her old bones. I said I'd be glad to help, I feel like I can make her a nice one. It's funny but I think I'm just realizing how fortunate I am to have found the companions I have. All signs indicate most people are alone in this world and fending for themselves. Speaking of which...where has Dogmeat gone to?

4:49 PM: There is a chem station behind the Hawthorn's house? Decided I'll drag it back to our area...maybe I can figure out how to make medication, or we might have a doctor join us someday. Could always learn to make more...explosive tools as well. 

5:31 PM: Placed the chem station against the side of the Smith's, across from the armor station. Might prove useful. If anything Mama Murphy seems knowledgable about these things...

6:03 PM: So I made Mama Murphy a comfy green chair, with extra padding, from the frame of what must of been a nice wingback and some of the better bits of scrap. I hope she likes it. 

7:25 PM: I found Dogmeat. Apparently he took a liking to the doghouse behind the Frank's home. As I was coaxing him out to show him where his house was I noticed two suspicious mounds of earth.  I think they are graves but I have no idea how old they are. So many lives lost, so many stories cut short. If I stop and let myself think about it, it feels like I might go mad.  OK, need to make sure he knows where his real home is from now on. He's safer without our walls, and everyone else is safer with him as well.

8:42 PM: Sent Codsworth home and led Dogmeat back to our house and his own home by the front door. Think I'll travel with him again for a bit.  Cosworth is good company but can get on my nerves after a while. Boiled some dirty waters to purify them and roasted up some roach. Went to plant the wild corn and discovered it's not viable as a crop but did manage to plant what appears to be a cross between a potato and a tomato on the plot of soil in front of my bedroom window. Also set up a working cooler on the counter in my kitchen by the sink and transferred all of the meets that I had cooked and some other produce into it to keep them fresh. Tossed the antibiotics in there as well. Finding that carrying too much food around is just weighing me down and with the need to bring back any salvage I can, I need to bring only what is needed. Realized I'd been caring around a ton of water as well so I threw together a simple crate and placed it on the opposite side of the sink. Now it's filled to the top with freshwater! I'll let everyone know in the morning that it's all up for grabs if they need it.

Going to readjust my inventory a bit more, store some of the heavier things, then call it a night. Thinking I should probably scout the rest of Concord and identify some viable routes to the Corvega plant tomorrow with Dogmeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment