Thursday, June 2, 2016

DAY 14, November 5th

6:53 AM: It's been two weeks since I left the Vault...it feels like a lifetime ago, two lifetimes ago actually...

So I'm feeling a little lethargic again, going to hold off on any antibiotics and see if it passes. After a breakfast of grilled roach and a gourd with some water from the pump I'm feeling a bit better. 

As Sanctuary has become our home I keep wishing I had some materials I left at the Rocket. Think I'll head back there alone and get what we need. Won't clear it all out, I think I'll leave enough for it to be a viable safe house though I hope it never comes to that. 

7:15 AM: Considered taking the short double-barreled shotgun, but it had to weigh nearly nine pounds, and with the modifications my laser musket is already pulling me down. Going to keep with my load-out of Nora and the musket, my machete as a back up, and three cocktails...just in case.

9:32 AM: Closed the Rocket's garage door, which I left open yesterday, and set about rooting through what I had stored. Stashed another $1,340 in the old register, took all the unopened Nukas (2 regular cola, a cherry and a quantum) and all the clothing I had stored. Everyone back at Sanctuary has been wearing the same clothes forever, thought it would be nice for them to have some options.  Heading back, not much else to do here right now. 

11:18 AM: After putting the clothing and the Nuka Colas in my room, I got the idea to use some of our salvaged wood and make an outhouse, compete with a door, for the community. We have been sneaking off into the brush, sometimes with a buddy, sometimes alone...so this should be a luxury by comparison. With some help from Sturgis I have built it in my backyard, in the right corner near the fence. 

I think I'll spend the afternoon scouting through Concord, see if there is anything I missed and find a route to the Corvega Plant. 

1:02 PM: The scope on my musket is great!  I can spot potential dangers from a distance and plan accordingly. Once past the Rocket and at the outskirts of Concord I took the left branch of the street where the dead cow was, picking some more hubflowers as I passed. Followed as it twisted around the edge of Concord and when it met up with a cross street I found myself in a small house. Looted everything I could including two bottles off Buffout, a can of beans, five bobby pins, and a box of Sugar Bombs...all downstairs. Upstairs I found a dead raider lying just off of a soiled sleeping bag, based on the lack of any overpowering smell I guessed he had been dead a while. He wore the usual raider gear and had a short double-barreled shotgun with a handful of shells. Near his hand was a pipe bolt-action sniper rifle. As I examined the gun it dawned on me he most likely used it from the window nearby, maybe the person returning fire was a better shot?. Equipping it I walked over to the window and closed my left eye while I peered through the sniper’s smudged scope.

Off in the distance I first made out an open truck with two dead men by its back doors. There appeared to be a cooler and some other container inside, and possibly much more in the larger crate on the ground near the bodies. I also spotted a cooking station set up like a regular place drifters might camp.  After clearing the room of its stash of 28 caps (more accurately the dead raider's caps), two empty Nuka Cola bottles and the contents of a safe with a basic lock (10mm pistol, rounds, $160 in cash, and a silver fork) I decided to check out the area I saw from the snipers nest. It's right behind this house and I'm going to exit through the house's back door leading straight out to the area. 

1:31 PM: Before rushing in I used the sniper scope to survey the area. No apparent hostiles so I continued.  The scope was adequate but my musket's was better. Switching to that I cranked it up and moved forward. 

A stimpack, Rad-X, and what looks like a dried iguana on stick were in the cooler and first aid kit in back of the van. The dead men appeared to be settlers...and by the looks of it the were shot once each, in the back. Executions. Turning away I was suddenly overwhelmed with emotions. Anger and sorrow mixed as I look at the sniper's window. What benefit was there in shooting unarmed settlers? After a few minutes I calmed down and went about searching them. Their corpses had decent enough clothes, some bottle caps and food...I felt like a thief but these were things I needed to survive. I'll move their bodies into the van and out of the sun before I go.

1:53 PM: Dunno what's wrong with me but I'm tired.  Maybe it's the stress and my emotions, so I've made my way back to the empty home and upstairs to the dead raider. Barely able to keep my eyes open, and as a flash of that anger swelled up, I tossed him out the second story window. The thud was satisfying, I can't lie.  I'm curling up in the sleeping bag to get some rest...

2:55 PM: Woke up after my nap and ate some mole-rat chunks, a mut chop, and drank a water. As I left the empty house through the back entrance, I stopped a few feet past the sniper's corpse. With a sigh I drug it into a copse of dead trees. Even though he was probably an asshole, and a murderer, I just can't let myself leave his body out in the sun. If I treat them the same as they treat those they abuse, I'm no better. 

I might not be an animal but I'm not a preacher either so I left without any more words or thoughts. Circling around the side of the house I think I'm going to follow the road out of Concord east. If memory serves me correct there's a crossroads a little ways from here and I should be able to head south towards the Plant. 

3:43 PM: While I was walking I came upon an abandoned bus with its back ripped wide open on the side of the road. Inside was a first aid kit with a stimpack and some RadAway. Not much else on the road so far. Continuing east.

4:22 PM: I'm at the crossroads, area looks nothing like I remember but this is it. To the north I can see Thicket Excavations and then in the distance further beyond the large dish building I saw on my way to Tenpines. Further east I don't see much other then some sort of vehicle, maybe a cargo van, on the road before if disappears over a rise. South is more of the same, an old truck and then the road goes up a hill. According to my way point the destination is that way. 

5:14: PM: As I traveled south down the road I noticed a man near a cooking pot off to my left in the brush. Using my musket's scope, I did my best to determine if he was friendly or not. He seemed pretty preoccupied with something as he sat there, didn’t notice me spying on him. I got more of a settler vibe from him so I stowed my musket and decided to take a chance. 

As I approached he warned me to keep my distance, and I put my hand on Nora as I asked him what the problem was, if he he was threatening me.  He explained that he ate a bad can of meat, three actually. "Longneck Lokiwski's Canned Meat" was what he called it, then said it should be called Longneck Lukowski's Canned Poison. Judging from the smell emanating from his general area he had a pretty bad gastrointestinal problem, so it seemed his warning to stay back was warranted. He offered me the rest of the cans but I politely declined as he said that if I ever meet this Lukowski character to tell him "he hopes he dies in a goddamn fire”. He  shared the location of their cannery with me. (On the coast to the east far from here.) before ended our conversation with him saying I should probably get going, between groans of pain and gurgling sounds, warning that things were going to get messy. I took his advice and headed back to the road double time. 

5:36 PM: I'm looking at a ruined phone booth with a skeleton in a dress lying near it. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help trying to fill in the stories of where these people were when they died. I know it can't be healthy for me but my mind just can't stop. 

6:18 PM: Cattle! Two of those double headed cows were off on the side of the road and I couldn't resist the chance at another one of those steaks. Using my musket I sniped one of them, a big brown thing, but wasn't making much progress as I ether missed or the shots hit with little effect other then spooking it. They both panicked and ran around while I threw two of my Molotov cocktails at one. Switched over to Nora and finally finished the first one off while the other one fled.  For my troubles I harvested some meat, hide, and for some reason the thing had a plastic plate stuck to the side of it. As I was butchering it I looked up and realized I was near the Starlite Drive-In Theater. Nora and I used to spend evenings here on dates, hell we might have conceived Shawn here if not for that trip to the park but, well that was a long time ago. Turning away from the theater, and preparing to continue towards the Plant, I saw two of those deer that I had seen a few days back. Approaching quietly I saw they were under a railway bridge crossing the road to the east. They have two heads as well, I'm not surprised at this point, and one was lying down while the other grazed on dry brown grass.  I slowly snuck up on them and popped off some shots with Nora at the head of the nearest one. Landed one hit out of five then rushed in popping off about seven more rounds. Took it down and now I'm going to go about cleaning up it's corpse and seeing what I can harvest. 

7:13 PM: I need to learn to hunt better. Between all the bullets that I littered it's body with I was only able to get a small chunk of meat and it's hide, well perforated. I also found a plastic knife under its body that I assume it fell on. Every little bit of resource helps so it all went in my sack. The sun is starting to set and I'm still nowhere near the Corvega Plant. Need to start thinking about where I'm going to bed down for the night.

7:29 PM: Just a couple dozen yards away from where I shot the deer there was a burned up van of some sort. It's back door was open and inside was a cooler with some sort of grain. Thought about trying to sleep in the vehicle but, I would be exposed and there's no bedding. Going to continue to push further south.

8:00 PM: I can see the Corvette assembly plant to the south of me on the horizon.  I'm shocked to see it looks like all of its smoke stacks and other various structures are still standing. To the north I see the drive-in theater nearby, and there's a light near what looks like a doorway into a cement block building at the base of the back of the theater screen. I'm at a junction were the road I was traveling along meets up with a road that runs behind the theater north and crosses some railroad tracks past me, then continues towards Lexington and the Plant. I've already had to turn on my Pip-Boy's light to see where I'm going and it's getting darker. I going to head north towards the theater and with any luck I can find somewhere to bed down in that building.  The Corvega Plant, and the raiders, will have to wait for another day...

8:53 PM: Well, someone called this place home at some point.  It's cement wall had a rust-spotted blue door in it with a recently used cooking spit right outside.  Inside I found several items showing proof of recent occupancy: an old grill with a machete and roach meat on it, several bobby pins on a shelf with a full bottle of vodka (very tempting), and an old refrigerator with Insta Mash, Yum Yum Deviled Eggs, and some Potato Crisps. I loved those things! Also found some cleaner on the ground next a suitcase with a military hat in it, next to an old couch. There was a baby crib with a toy car and four milk bottles under it as well. It’s hard to look at, the crib that is. I tried to lay on the couch then noticed the tiny bugs swarming around on the cushions and decided I'll find a better place to sleep. I've loaded up on everything in the room and am continuing on. Hope to find someplace before I end up walking all the way back home in the dark. 

10:00 PM: After exiting the small room I followed the cement brick wall around the backside of the building. Came across another door with a simple lock, which I made quick work of, and stepping through it I found myself in virtual a treasure trove! It's a storage room filled with junk...salvageable junk.  A huge bottle of economy wonder glue, flip lighters, used oil cans, tin cans, tools...too much for me to take right now with my pack almost full. Besides all of that useful junk as I was taking mental inventory of the room I found a fusion core! Picked that guy up despite the weight along with a unopened bottle of Nuka Cola Quantum, can of beans, and twelve .308 rounds of ammo. I will definitely be back for the rest another time but right it's getting late...

11:30 PM: Found a bed...and trouble.  It was up the street from the Starlight, north towards Concord, hidden high up behind a faded billboard on its access walkway. Wouldn't have even found it if not for the fallen tree that allowed me access to it about a dozen feet up. Looked like someone's abandoned camp that had not been used in a while. Besides the stained mattress there was a stim and blood pack in a first aid kit. Also found sixteen .38 rounds in an ammo box.  Opening a cooler that was at the end of the walkway I got a tin of Mentats as well. 

As I was about to lie down to try and sleep a gunshot rang out below in the night. Raiders set on a woman and one of those two headed cows, weighed down with goods. I started sniping them with Nora from my vantage point while she defended herself. After taking down one she killed the other two and I climbed down to meet her. 

I suppose I should have announced myself. 

"So what's your story? Looking to trade, kill me or just want directions to Diamond City?" she barked as I walked up, her hand on her gun. I put up both hands in a sign of peace and asked about this "Diamond City” having wondered about the radio station and remembering Mama Murphy’s vision. She relaxed a bit and with a sigh said to, "Keep going south till you see the skyline and the Great Green Jewel is just beyond the city limits...” I assumed the jewel was the city without asking, didn’t need questions about why I didn’t know about it from her. She mentioned her name was Trashcan Carla and that she and her Brahman (is that what they call these cows or is that just this one's name?) had to find a place to bed down. I let her go as she seemed to know her way and was in a hurry, can't really blame her...

Considered looting the corpses then thought better of it with the darkness around me and made my way back up to the mattress I found.  Closed my eyes with Nora on my chest just in case. Wish I had brought Cogsworth or Dogmeat with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment